Wednesday, March 17, 2010

grow: flower headband...rejected

So i took a chance and wore my flower headband to work today...
At 8am, as my students are coming into the classroom, one says,

"OH MY GOD, MRS. U, WHAT IS THAT UGLY THING ON TOP OF YOUR HEAD?????"

thank you, student. thank you.

(i labeled this post as grow seeing as how it was a growing moment for me...

I took a breath, and gently explained to my student that his use of the word "ugly" makes me feel badly, and that he could say something more encouraging, as people have different tastes and what looks good to some may not look so good to others...and so on and so forth....

What i didn't tell him is that I MADE THIS HEADBAND AND I AM VERY PROUD OF IT! That statement would have been a little self serving. :-)

my advice for the day: if you want to be challenged to be a better person, teach :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment