Monday, April 12, 2010

create: anthro-inspired reassembled framing

so i saw this Anthropologie Reassembled Mirror online first, then in store...its magnificent! But with a price tag of $498, its WAY WAY WAY out of any price range I will ever have....this beautiful frame, built from the shattered pieces of an antique replicated wooden frame, did inspire my own version(s) that you will see below....(and i have to say, my favorite part of this project was when I was out on our front driveway, smashing old picture frames into pieces...so much fun!)
now i didnt have a frame with enough width to sustain a collage of broken pieces. i did, however, have this flat wooden crate from Whole Foods left over from my wedding....as you can see, i slapped on a messy coat of Antique Gold acrylic paint and got to work....
i attached my broken frame pieces with some hot glue along the edge of the crate....i like how they jutted out from the edge....it created a depth that i like....

after i had pieced and hot glued everything on, i grabbed some finishing nails and my trusty ikea hammer.... i hammered three columns of finishing nails into my crate, eyeballing their placement (you could measure, if thats your thing)
and here is my final product: an anthro-inspired reassembled jewelry holder! the finishing nails are small enough that they can barely be seen....and the white framing with the matte gold just looks yummy to me....things are a little more "jagged" than i would have liked, but for my first attempt at piecing together broken frame parts, i am pleased....

one great thing about this DIY jewelry holder is that the construction of the crate allows for not only my dangle earrings to be organized, but my button earrings that i made fit right between the wood seams....
in my frame-smashing escaped, i also destroyed a couple old antique frames....i simply attached them to these dollar store frames (painted with my Home Depot Martha Stewart paint sample!)...its a little off-beat...im not sure if i am thrilled with how they turned out, but i thought i would share anyway....
and here's a close up of the frames...i like the broken look contrasted with the elegant designs of the original frames....if i did this again, i would like to have more frame pieces, so as to create more depth like the anthro mirror has....

No comments:

Post a Comment