Saturday, April 10, 2010

create: painting presidents

my sister became inspired by my spray-painted beethoven bust in a previous post, so she enlisted me to be on the hunt for more composer busts (shes a musician, you see) that she could paint herself.....

so last Saturday as i am browsing my local flea market, I see two mini busts on a vendor's table... i approach the table, pick up the busts, realize that they are the busts of presidents (Roosevelt and Truman, to be exact), not composers, attempt to put the busts back on the vendor's table, when...CRASH!!!!...I drop them on the floor! Needless to say, President Roosevelt was split in two, while President Truman was chipped in a few places...

If you know me very well, and you are reading this, you are most likely saying to yourself.... "That is a very WHITNEY thing to do...." :-)

Needless to say, I apologized to the vendor profusely. He was very gracious, allowing me to buy the broken busts at a discounted price...
So now I am stuck with Presidents Roosevelt and Truman, broken and chipped.... When I got home, I reassembled them with a little Gorilla glue, slapped some teal acrylic paint and sealer on, and now I have two busts that I didnt really want in the first place.... a testimony to my clumsy nature :-) p.s. dont you think President Truman's glasses are just hilarious?

No comments:

Post a Comment